libbusybox is back; "individual" mode is introduced

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:04:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 23:22, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:13:56PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >In current svn:
> >
> >CONFIG_BUILD_LIBBUSYBOX works again,
>
> Very nice. Thanks for your effort.
>
> What do you think about also providing an option to use the normal
> busybox as a whole as .so (i.e. a PIE)?

It should be easy. I only need to look how e.g. glibc makes it so that
/lib/libc.so.6 is runnable by itself.

> A potential use-case would be for people who currently clutter their
> apps with system() calls. Those could use the normal foo_main() "API"
> instead.

foo_main() won't work in many cases. Many applets leak memory
("exiting frees it all anyway") or outright exit without returning
from main().

NOFORK applets are the only ones which are safe for such usage
(modulo bugs).
--
vda