dumpkmap: why not keymap 13?

Darren Di Cera lsandsdd at iinet.com.au
Fri Nov 30 04:23:13 UTC 2007

Hi All,
I have a rather simple question that may just be due insufficient
understanding on my part but why does the "dumpkmap" command only dump key
maps for [0-2],[4-6],[8-10],[12]?

My problem comes from me trying to use a Remote control to control Mplayer
in a distro that uses Busybox (the distro is Geexbox). The Remote control
identifies itself as a USB HID keyboard but buttons for sending volume, mute
and some others send key codes of "alt+ctrl+shift+1" for example. So I
remapped the "alt+ctrl+shift+1" to a single charcter, ie 2, on a debian
system that had busybox also installed. I then produced a busybox binary
keymap but the remapping was not present.

The above was done via;
/usr/bin/dumpkeys > original_keymap
/bin/loadkeys modified_keymap

# Check modified_keymap loaded

./busybox dumpkmap > modified_keymap.bin
/bin/loadkeys original_keymap

I remember checking that when pressing "alt+ctrl+shift+1" "2" would printed
to the screen on the debian system but when I loaded the modified_keymap.bin
on the geexbox system the "alt+ctrl+shift+1" produced nothing. Other key
codes that did remaps, ie "ctrl+p" to b, were working so some of ./busybox
dumpkmap worked, just not the "alt+ctrl+shift+1".

>From the following link
http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/busybox/console-tools/dumpk
map.c?rev=10996&view=markup

I see that the dumpkmap.c only appears to dump for keymaps
[0-2],[4-6],[8-10],[12] but "alt+ctrl+shift" are keymap 13. I think this is
why it did not work on the geexbox system.

Why is keymap 13 not dumped?

thanks
Darren