where are we/you going?

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:52:09 UTC 2007

2007/11/28, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>:
> On Tuesday 27 November 2007 02:38, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> > 2007/11/27, Roberto A. Foglietta <roberto.foglietta at gmail.com>:
> > > 2007/11/26, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>:
> > >
> > >  [cut]

> > > foglietr at eemd2364170:/tmp$ size busybox-1.8.2/busybox
> > > busybox-1.2.2.1/busybox text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> > >  319519    2070   10784  332373   51255 busybox-1.8.2/busybox
> > >  339750    4472   35172  379394   5ca02 busybox-1.2.2.1/busybox
> > >
> > > Currently defined functions:
> > > [, [[, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2,
> > > bzcat, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt, clear, cmp, cp, cut,
> > > date, dd, deallocvt, delgroup, deluser, df, dirname, dmesg, du, echo,
> > > egrep, env, expr, false, fdisk, fgrep, find, free, ftpget, ftpput,
> > > fuser, getopt, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, head, hexdump, hostid,
> > > hostname, hwclock, id, inetd, init, insmod, install, ip, kill,
> > > killall, klogd, ln, logger, login, logname, ls, lsmod, md5sum, mkdir,
> > > mknod, mktemp, more, mv, netstat, nohup, openvt, passwd, pidof,
> > > pivot_root, poweroff, printf, ps, pwd, readlink, reboot, renice,
> > > reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, sed, seq, setconsole, sh, sleep, sort,
> > > stat, strings, stty, su, sulogin, sync, sysctl, syslogd, tail, tar,
> > > tee, telnet, telnetd, test, time, top, touch, tr, true, tty, uname,
> > > uniq, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, yes,
> > > zcat

> > >  [cut]

> > >  The size is 47021 smaller with the same applets which is 12/13% less.
> > >  Some other applets and options has been added. Even ignoring ipv6
> > > (which is not complete by now) I think the balance is good.  After the
> > > ipv6 completion having a new-era-busybox very stable branch and a
> > > developing one could be fine.
> >
> >  However there are some small bugs around which suggest me that
> > new-era-busybox has not reach a very stable level yet:
> >
> > foglietr at eemd2364170:/tmp/busybox-1.8.2$ grep READLINK .config
> > CONFIG_READLINK=y
> > CONFIG_FEATURE_READLINK_FOLLOW=y
> > foglietr at eemd2364170:/tmp/busybox-1.8.2$ ln -sf pippo pippa
> > foglietr at eemd2364170:/tmp/busybox-1.8.2$ ./busybox readlink pippa
> > pippo
> > foglietr at eemd2364170:/tmp/busybox-1.8.2$ ./busybox readlink -f pippa
> > BusyBox v1.8.2 (2007-11-27 12:05:21 CET) multi-call binary
> >
> > Usage: readlink [-f] FILE
> >
> > Display the value of a symlink

> >         -f      Canonicalize by following all symlinks
>
> Cannot reproduce.
>
> $ ln -sf pippo pippa
> $ ./busybox readlink pippa
> pippo
> $ ./busybox readlink -f pippa; echo $?
> 1
> $ pwd
> /home/vda/srcdev-local/bbox/fix/busybox182
>
> It's 1.8.2 and .config also contains
> CONFIG_READLINK=y
> CONFIG_FEATURE_READLINK_FOLLOW=y
>
> See attached. Please post your .config

 My original .config got lost in /tmp, however it was done as described below:

 make distclean
 make allnoconfig
 make menuconfig -> added readlinf and -f only -> exit&save
 make

 I have done that 2 times and I was pretty sure of the result... but no!
 I cannot reproduce it any more me too. You have all my apologize,

 I am really sorry,
--
/roberto