tar segfaults (busybox 1.8.1)

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:39:22 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 November 2007 12:26, Alexander Griesser wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko schrieb:
> > But, Alexander, can you confirm that replacing "ustar  " with "ustar"
> > *really* makes it go away? This is unbelievable.
>
> Yes, as I said above, it definetly makes all my troubles go away ;)

It means that you built your glibc with some weird debugging mode,
and it converts

    strcpy(array, string);

into some sort of

    strcpy_with_overrun_check(array, sizeof(array), string);

In this case, it blew up despite code was correct.

It also makes all your strcpy's bigger.

Which version of glibc does this? With which configure options
did you built it?
--
vda