wget downloads file with wrong size

Alexander Kriegisch Alexander at Kriegisch.name
Wed May 23 09:09:38 UTC 2007

Hi!

BB 1.4.2, mipsel

wget http://www.tecchannel.de/download/432967/etherwake yields a file
with a wrong size, which when made executable and executed, throws an error:

> $ wget http://www.tecchannel.de/download/432967/etherwake
> Connecting to www.tecchannel.de [217.111.81.70:80]
> etherwake   100% |***...***|   248 KB 00:00:00 ETA
> $ ls -l etherwake
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       254290 May 22 09:46 etherwake

The real size would be 631820 bytes. Now the really strange part begins.
When viewing the wrong-sized file in mcview, for example, and scrolling
to the end, the real size in bytes is shown in the info line on the top
of the screen.

Now is *this* strange? I can reproduce it on my box with kernel
2.6.13.1. Another user complained about it on a box with a 2.4 kernel.

Oh, by the way: Tweaking the command line in this dirty way

> wget http://www.tecchannel.de/download/432967/etherwake dummy

results in a correct download. Huh?!??
--
Alexander Kriegisch