how to enable cache flushes for hard disk?

Jan Evert van Grootheest Jan-Evert.van.Grootheest at Vialis.nl
Tue May 22 11:43:01 UTC 2007

Kaimi,

	-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
	Van: busybox-bounces at busybox.net
[mailto:busybox-bounces at busybox.net] Namens kaimi
	Verzonden: dinsdag 22 mei 2007 10:35
	Aan: busybox at busybox.net
	Onderwerp: Re: how to enable cache flushes for hard disk?

	Another question, on my pc, the hd supports cache flushes, it
shows:

	[root at localhost linux-2.6.20-dm]# hdparm -T /dev/hdb

	/dev/hdb:
	 Timing cached reads:   3344 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1671.72
MB/sec

	and my target board does not support cache flushed, it shows:
	[root at test tmp]# ./hdparm -T /dev/hda

	/dev/hda:
	 Timing cached reads:    68 MB in  2.04 seconds =  33.30 MB/sec

	I don't know if this feature is the inducement, I want to
disable this feature on pc, what's the command? thanks

Cache flushes are only relevant to writes. So the above cannot be
explained with cache flush support.
The above is *read* performance. Most likely the difference is because
of hardware differences.

Try something like 'hdparm -I /dev/hda'  on both and carefully check
which mode the disk is using.
That command will also indicate whether cache flush support is available
on the disk (and then again it may still not be used by Linux due to
other issues).

-- Jan Evert