udev and PATH problems

Ignacio García Pérez iggarpe at terra.es
Thu May 17 06:47:43 UTC 2007

Denis Vlasenko escribió:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2007 14:00, Ignacio García Pérez wrote:
>
>> However, I'm not quite sure udevd passing along its startuo environment
>> to "RUN+=" programs is the right solution. It might "pollute" the
>> programs environment and provide a non deterministic execution
>> evironment: in other word, the "RUN+=" outcome may depend on factors not
>> under the udev subsystem control (i.e. the environment set when the
>> udevd daemon is started).
>>

> It has to pass PATH. PATH is set by the human who set up the system.
> It's not udevd's business to decide whether PATH is reasonable or not.
> If PATH is wrong, it's admin's fault.
>
> Programs should not dictate policy, they should provide functionality.

Ok. I agree. There is something weird in my setup because udevd is
launched from /etc/init.d/rcS and the PATH is properly set by then, but
udevd seems not to be propagating it to the processes it executes. I'll
investigate it in depth in a while.

Meanwhile, I discovered another PATH problem, this time with modprobe
and kernel module autoloading. Modprobe calls "insmod", and can't find
it when modprobe is called by the kernel (as per
/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe) because the kernel does not set PATH. See my
other message.