svn trunk won't build on a debian sarge box

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Tue May 8 08:34:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2007 17:27, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > Anyone else being hit by this?
> >
> > ,----
> > | .debug_varnames
> > |  *(.debug_varnames)
> > |
> > | /DISCARD/
> > |  *(.note.GNU-stack)
> > | OUTPUT(busybox_unstripped elf32-i386)
> > | collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > | strip: 'busybox_unstripped': No such file
> > `----
>
> ?! You see the above as error message?

Shouldn't I? busybox_unstripped is not built.

> > gcc:		4:3.3.5-3
> > binutils:	2.15-6
> > libc6:		2.3.2.ds1-22sarge5
> > make:		3.80-9
> >
> > To reproduce:
> >
> > # make allnoconfig
> > # make menuconfig
> >   enable debian utils start-stop-daemon, save .config and exit
> > # make
>
> It's usually simpler to just attach your .config

All right, attached.

> > No such problems on a debian etch box with:
> >
> > gcc:		4:4.1.1-15
> > binutils:	2.17-3
> > libc6:		2.3.6.ds1-13
> > make:		3.81-2
> >
> > The FAQ states bb should build with "gcc 3.2, make 3.79.1, and glibc
> > 2.3".
>
> I guess your binutils are too old for --gc-sections to work right.

Could be. In that case, does anyone know what binutils version is
required? I also suggest an update of the relevant FAQ section?

  http://www.busybox.net/FAQ.html

The only notice about gc-sections I could find in the binutils docs
is:

,----[ /usr/share/doc/binutils/ld/NEWS.gz ]
| Changes in version 2.10:
|
| * Added garbage collection of unused sections, enabled by --gc-sections.
|   It does require a bit of backend support; currently implemented are
|   arm-elf, avr-elf, d10v-elf, fr30-elf, i386-elf, m32r-elf, m68k-elf,
|   mcore-elf, mips-elf, mn10300-elf, ppc-elf, sh-elf, sparc-elf, and v850-elf.
|   Others will ignore the option.
`----

Please note, debian sarge has binutils 2.15-6.

Cheers,
Cristian