busybox 1.5.0 uClibc bufsiz and breakage (was Re: syslog messages truncated)

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue May 8 02:03:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:03:48AM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007 14:23, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > syslog messages are being truncated. This happens regardless of their
[..]
> Yes, I mistakenly thought that BUFSIZ is big enough and used
> BUFSIZ-sized buffer for data in syslogd.
>
> But uclibc can be configured to have very small BUFSIZ.
>
> The bug is fixed in newer busybox. Alternatively, rebuild uclibc with
> a bit larger BUFSIZ (like 2k?)

Thanks Denis.

I installed 1.5.0. However I found that the telnet app doesn't compile
with uClibc BUFSIZE==256 in 1.5.0, calls BUG_telnet_globals_too_big().
So I had to increase my BUFSIZE anyway.

And now it's fairly broken; incoming TCP connections get refused (I'm
running inetd, netstat shows the sockets, but connections are not
accepted), and busybox's ash reports "-sh: can't access tty; job control
turned off". Hmm :(

Hamish