hush a bit improved, much work remains

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon May 7 22:56:11 UTC 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 20:13, Martin Linux wrote:
> i did notice you did a lot of changes on hush lately (its also smaller)
>
> im not sure if you would like some rookie linux user give you results on
> hush ?
>
> im using hush (1.1.3) on a non MMU ARM system (kiss dvd player)

Uhhhh... I saw the code, I can tell you for sure: hush
cannot work correctly on NOMMU machine. Well, it will sort of work,
but it's buggy (child internal state will leak into parent,
which will manifest as weird bugs).

> im only using linux for +- 1 year, and i never did learn how to program so
> im not sure if you will like this kind of feedback
>
> But i can already tel you that the cvs dont "work" the same as the 1.1.3 and
> that i still need the old version

I am interested in any examples of what worked in hush
in any older busybox version, but stopped to work recently.

> if i try this hush script:
>
> #!/bin/hush
> mount > /tmp/stage2.tmp
> grep -q /hdd /tmp/stage2.tmp
> c=$?
> echo "c=$c"
> while [ $c -eq 1 ]
> do
>     sleep 1
>     mount > /tmp/stage2.tmp
>     grep -q /hdd /tmp/stage2.tmp
>     c=$?
>     echo "c=$c"
> done
>
> it will give me only 1 results and im not 100% sure if this is a hush bug
> (same result on i386 btw)
>
> but this problem is already in the old and new version
>
> If you want i can give you better feedback

One thing which does not require C skills is adapting existing
ash testsuite to also test hush. ash testsuite lives in
busybox/shell/ash_test and is not big at all.
This will help keeping hush from breaking (or at least make
breakage easier to notice faster).

Volunteers welcome.
--
vda