Suboptimal header getopt.h for busybox?

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:13:54 UTC 2007

Hello Mats,

On Friday 23 March 2007 14:11, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:47:52PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> >in trying to optimise a minimal system even further
> >for size, I had the idea to switch off full GNU getopt
> >support in uClibc and make do with SuSv3 standards.
> >It turned out that Busybox refused to compile due to
> >several references to include/getopt.h. However, since
> >Busybox is not optimal with its demands on getopt?
>
> Yes. Patches? :)

I would say that it is quite possible that either getopt32
(internal busybox's option parser which busybox heavily uses)
can be rewritten so that it doesn't use getopt(), or uclibc'
getopt can be audited for code size, or maybe even both.

In either case, such efforts will be appreciated by busybox
and/or uclibc people. We really are happy to accept patches.

Community development efforts look like big "SMP machine"
where each coder is a "CPU". Don't be shy to become
another "CPU" ;)

--
vda