awk does not terminate when compiled with gcc-4.1.2

Alexander Kriegisch Alexander at Kriegisch.name
Mon Mar 19 12:33:54 UTC 2007

Another awk phenomenon.

Environment: Busybox 1.4.1 on Linux 2.6.13 (mipsel) on an embedded
system (router firmware):

My busybox version compiled with gcc 4.1.2 + uClibc 0.9.28 + binutils
2.17 hangs and has to be killed. Example:

echo "aaa bbb ccc" | awk '{print $1}'
(process does not terminate, Ctrl-C required)

It does not happen on x86 systems, I was told. I only tried on my router
box, and I am not 100% sure that it is busybox's fault, as I needed some
patches in order to get gcc-4.1.2 running.
--
Alexander Kriegisch