Modifying init to create /dev/console ?

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Tue Mar 13 16:32:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 09:43:45AM +0100, Robin Farine wrote:
> > Well, for example in PTXdist, we let a user build a root
> > filesystem for an embedded system. And having to create
> > root/dev/{console,null} is one of the rare cases which can only
> > be done with root permissions at the moment, so being able to get
> > rid of that step would be a good thing.
>
> OK, I see. The NFS case is not easy. But setting up a system to
> export a given filesystem also requires root privilege, so creating
> the 2 device nodes can be done at this moment, it is a one time
> operation. Does PTXdist allow you to setup an NFS root filesystem?
> Otherwise, fakeroot is sufficient to create complete filesystem
> images.

PTXdist builds a root filesystem which can be either flashed to the
device (via a fakeroot using script which recreates the permissions) or
mounted to the devics by NFS. The flash case is handled by fakeroot very
well, but for NFS you need to create a _real_ device node.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9