Modifying init to create /dev/console ?

Robin Farine robin.farine at terminus.org
Tue Mar 13 08:43:45 UTC 2007

On Tue March 13 2007 08:59, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 11:46:49PM +0100, Robin Farine wrote:
> > By creating a /dev/console device node in the NFS exported
> > filesystem ?
>
> Well, for example in PTXdist, we let a user build a root
> filesystem for an embedded system. And having to create
> root/dev/{console,null} is one of the rare cases which can only
> be done with root permissions at the moment, so being able to get
> rid of that step would be a good thing.

OK, I see. The NFS case is not easy. But setting up a system to
export a given filesystem also requires root privilege, so creating
the 2 device nodes can be done at this moment, it is a one time
operation. Does PTXdist allow you to setup an NFS root filesystem ?
Otherwise, fakeroot is sufficient to create complete filesystem
images.

Robin