AW: Cannot log in as root directly, but su works

Martetschlaeger Stefan Martetschlaeger.Stefan at fronius.com
Mon Mar 12 17:14:50 UTC 2007

Hi Denis,

I already posted the solution. The problem was that login assumed the tty device to be in /dev but on my system they were in /mnt/ramdisk0/dev because I only symlinked /dev to that location.

> Question: where is it different from the case when /dev is writable?

See above. I need to have /dev writable because syslogd wants to create its log socket there. Besides from that it's quite handy to be able to create the devices dynamically.

Regards,
Steve