Busybox GPL violator: LaCie

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Mar 9 20:04:11 UTC 2007

 > That is not the firmware for the "Ethernet Disk RAID" which is  the product
 > I have
 >
 > There is also no toolchain with the GPL sources for the firmware for the
 > mini, so you can't build it... it does say that some of the tool chain is
 > from ELDK from denx.org v3.0 which no longer resolves. (atleast for me) and
 > at demx.de with a quick look did not have ELDK v3.0 available for download.
 > But I don't have a "ethernet disk mini," so they don't have to give me the
 > tool chain if I ask them for it. As the binary was never distributed to me.

there is no requirement that GPL'ed code be accompanied by all
of its build tools -- they're _never_ required to give you the
tool chain, any more than they're required to give you tools to
program an image into their flash memory.  the GPL goals of
"freedom for the user" aren't a very good match with current
embedded systems, but that's just the way it is.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com