Busybox GPL violator: LaCie

thinkliberty thinkliberty at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:38:46 UTC 2007

LaCie (www.lacie.com) by selling it's "LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID"  is
violating your copyrights by distributing busybox without a copy of the GPL
(or even a notice of the gpl.) I also called their tech support line
(503-844-4503)and they told me the source code was not available.
See product at:
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10876

You can see they are using busybox by downloading the latest firmware for
the product at:
ftp://207.189.107.141/BCFv13b524-external.zip
link from the page:
http://www.lacie.com/us/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10101

(Notice that there is no offer to distribute the source code or a copy of
the GPL in the firmware or the page linking to the firmware)

You can tell the firmware is using busybox by unziping the file; a net
friend of mine found someone that figured out how to unpack  the pkg file
from firmware link above. Here is what he has sent me: (he did not give me a
link to where he found the info)

The .**pkg** file contains a header and then a gziped tar file

The header consists of:

32 byte: md5sum of the remaining file
32 byte: identification string, starting with "**FALCONSTOR**@" and then
followed by the machine identification, e.g. EP###
8 byte: length of header in KB
16 byte: **firmware** version number (e.g. #.#-b####)
16 byte: **firmware** version string (e.g. fs-bc)

Remove the above info from the file and then the remainder is just a
tarball.

LaCie's contact info can be found at
http://www.lacie.com/us/contact/index.htm