mdev woes

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Jun 28 19:43:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007, Jason Curl wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 June 2007, Yan Seiner wrote:
> >> First there way static /dev
> >> then there was devfs
> >> then there was udev
> >> now there is mdev (which is udev but for busybox)
> >>
> >> I guess I don't always understand the problems that the newer systems
> >> are fixing.  Don't get me wrong, I use udev and devfs quite a bit and I
> >> wouldn't go back to the static /dev.
> >
> > mdev and udev are exactly the same ... the kernel notifies userspace of
> > an event (device is created) and they parse /sysfs for metadata about the
> > device so that it can create the proper device node
> >
> > the reason mdev exists is merely because udev is much larger than many
> > people need/want
>
> Does that mean mdev will be using the new notification mechanism as
> "/sbin/hotplug" is already deprecated and no longer used by udev? I
> haven't tested this feature yet (still building the filesystem), but I
> hope it isn't yet out of date. Even though linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net
> mentions "/sbin/hotplug", SuSE 10.0 and newer distros don't use it. It
> looks like they're using dbus.

mdev uses the simpler /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug interface rather than the
netlink interface because the netlink interface requires mdev to be
constantly running (and thus probably wasting resources in many systems).

i'm not aware of this proc file being deprecated and until it is, mdev will
probably have no reason to move to the daemon/netlink method.
-mike