mdev woes

Jason Curl jcurlmail at arcor.de
Thu Jun 28 19:28:44 UTC 2007

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> First there way static /dev
>> then there was devfs
>> then there was udev
>> now there is mdev (which is udev but for busybox)
>>
>> I guess I don't always understand the problems that the newer systems
>> are fixing.  Don't get me wrong, I use udev and devfs quite a bit and I
>> wouldn't go back to the static /dev.
>
> mdev and udev are exactly the same ... the kernel notifies userspace of an
> event (device is created) and they parse /sysfs for metadata about the device
> so that it can create the proper device node
>
> the reason mdev exists is merely because udev is much larger than many people
> need/want

Does that mean mdev will be using the new notification mechanism as
"/sbin/hotplug" is already deprecated and no longer used by udev? I
haven't tested this feature yet (still building the filesystem), but I
hope it isn't yet out of date. Even though linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net
mentions "/sbin/hotplug", SuSE 10.0 and newer distros don't use it. It
looks like they're using dbus.