mdev woes

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jun 28 17:20:37 UTC 2007

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> Mike Frysinger napsal(a):

>>> you've probably disabled the deprecated sysfs kernel option ... older
>>> versions of mdev wont work in that case, you have to enable the kernel
>>> option or grab the fix out of current trunk
>>> -mike
>>>
>> For those of us who don't do this full time, is there an overview of all
>> the udev/mdev/sysfs/foo/bar changes going on?
>>

> mdev simply exposes the hotplug capabilities from the kernel ... as for
> mdev.conf, you can read the mdev doc
>

>> I understand the need for a robust and intelligent device management
>> system, but it seems that the changes are coming pretty rapidly - as
>> soon as we get used to one system, it's deprecated in favor of another.
>> (This from a guy who still develops with a 2.4 kernel as a part of his
>> job.)  :-)
>>

> i dont understand this statement ... mdev hides the user<->kernel interface
> and mdev continues to work the same

I don't want to hijack the thread, and I don't want to sound like I'm
whining, but.....  There just seems to be a lot of virtual file systems
around.

First there way static /dev
then there was devfs
then there was udev
now there is mdev (which is udev but for busybox)

I guess I don't always understand the problems that the newer systems
are fixing.  Don't get me wrong, I use udev and devfs quite a bit and I
wouldn't go back to the static /dev.  For example, this is the first
time I've heard that sysfs is deprecated.  I guess in favor of configfs,
and from what Google pulls up, it makes sense.  But if you don't work
kernel code all the time, it's hard to keep up.

It would be nice to have an overview of all the virtual file systems and
how they relate to each other....

Just my $0.02.

--Yan