screen manager terminal emulation

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue Jun 26 18:26:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 03:30:06PM +0200, Miroslaw Dach wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> 	I have built successfully busy-box. All works fine but I need a
> functionality which is not covered with busy box.
> On my Linux PC I use screen program (screen manager with VT100/ANSI
> terminal emulation) which gives the possibility to multiplex physical
> terminal between several processes.
>
> I have tried to cross build this program but  during
> configuration phase it is already the problem. It seems to be that it can
> not be so easily configured for the target architecture.
>
> Did anybody of you cross compiled this program? Probably busybox mailing
> list is not the one where I should send this message but I do not know of
> any other mailing list which could be better.

It isn't simple. The autoconf tools have no support for testing
programs under the target arch (there was a Google Summer of Code
project about that, but I wasn't accepted and I don't know if anything
has been done about that).

Some programs have few tests and can be manually patched, but screen is
obsessive about running the created executables, even if only the
linkage check was needed.

screen also requires ncurses compiled for the target system. You'll also
need the terminfo files for the terminal types you intend to use.

In ftp://ftp.gil.di.uminho.pt/pub/users/strange/arm you can find both
ncurses and screen, compiled for arm (arm-linux-uclibc-gcc 4.1.1).

The compilation of screen is an hack, and I give no support! ;)
But it seems to work. The hack is to manually change the tests that
check for cross compilation or execution of compiled programs to the
expected result.

--
lfr
0/0