Telnetd configuration

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:10:41 UTC 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007 15:51, Miroslaw Dach wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> 	Thank you very much for your suggestions.
> I came back to the telnetd issue once again and right now when I try to
> connect to my ppc405 embedded system I get:
>
> Trying 129.128.107.50...
> Connected to ml403-mirek.pss.uk (129.128.107.50).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> Now it  seems to be that the telnet daemon runs on my ppc405 but
> probably something needs to be configured.
>
> I have tried to see some error messages in the /var/log/messages file but
> such a file does not exist on my ppc405.
>
> Does somebody have an idea what configuration is missing

I think you have FEATURE_TELNETD_STANDALONE=y and therefore you need -i
if you want to run telnetd from inetd:

# ./busybox telnetd --help
BusyBox v1.7.0.svn (2007-06-19 18:40:17 CEST) multi-call binary

Usage: telnetd [OPTION]

Handle incoming telnet connections

        -l LOGIN        Exec LOGIN on connect
        -f issue_file   Display issue_file instead of /etc/issue
        -p PORT         Port to listen to
        -b ADDR         Address to bind to
        -F              Stay in foreground
        -i              Run as inetd subservice