Question about syslogd and TAB characters?

Dennis Smith dennis.smith at vecimanetworks.com
Mon Jun 18 17:10:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am using busybox ver. 1.00

I send a log message via syslog that includes \t (horizontal tab) in the
message.  When I look a the log file (\var\log\messages), instead of the expected
tab, I see "^I" in the logged message.  Granted, that is the control sequence for tabs,
but on another system that does not use busy box, I see the expected tab in the file,
which is preferrable when trying to line up columns of data in your logging files.

Questions
1. Is this a bug with the syslogd included with busybox?
2. Is there a fix for this in a later release of busybox?, which release is it in?
3. If there is no fix available at this time, can someone investigate this, and provide a fix?
4. If someone will look into it, approximately how long will it be before they do?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Smith