Missing ext2 applets in 1.4.2

Michael Cashwell mike.cashwell at sdrcinc.net
Fri Jun 15 16:00:58 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out how best to add tools like fdisk.ext2, mke2fs,
etc. to a busybox 1.4.2 setup on ARM. I've found old_e2fsprogs but it
seems disconnected from the config/build system. That's not surprising
given that e2fsprogs/Config.in has them all commented out, but I can't
find any explanation as to why.

I've searched the docs for "ext2", "mk2fs" and "e2fsprogs" but see
nothing other than an old screen shot that shows the tools used to be
present and a general mention in a FAQ.

Can someone fill me in on why these ext2 applets are turned off? Were
they being updated in 1.4 and I should just move to 1.5.x? Or were they
being removed and I need to look outside busybox?

Thanks,
Mike