telnetd issue?

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:19:13 UTC 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 21:22, Wijnand Rietman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded from busybox 1.2.1 to 1.5.1. and noticed in difference
> in telnetd. Starting the telnet server in version 1.2.1 (by just typing
> telnetd) worked without problems. However, when I do the same thing in
> version 1.5.1, I see the following:
>
> .....!..
>
> followed by a login prompt in my console. After a while it shows the
> message "Login timed out after 60 seconds" and exits. Am I doing
> something wrong or is this a bug in busybox 1.5.1?

Full-blown telnetd:

# ./busybox telnetd --help
BusyBox v1.7.0.svn (2007-06-04 20:25:28 CEST) multi-call binary

Usage: telnetd [OPTION]

Handle incoming telnet connections

        -l LOGIN        Exec LOGIN on connect
        -f issue_file   Display issue_file instead of /etc/issue
        -p PORT         Port to listen to
        -b ADDR         Address to bind to
        -F              Stay in foreground
        -i              Run as inetd subservice

You probably have CONFIG_FEATURE_TELNETD_STANDALONE unset, and therefore
your telnetd wolks as if -i option is active.

Testing...

# ./busybox telnetd -i
ЪЩЪЩЪЩ!ЪШЪШ
shadow login: _