Socket: Function not implemented errors in Busybox 1.6.1

Andrew McKay amckay at iders.ca
Wed Jul 18 15:59:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am compiling Busybox 1.6.1 for use on an ARM Linux system.  My Kernel version
is Linux 2.6.8.1.  I have compiled busy box with both a GCC 3.4.4 and a GCC
4.2.0 compiler with the latest version of uClibc.  However it appears that no
socket related functions are not working in my Busybox executable.  Applications
that use a socket die with an error saying that the Function is not implemented.

starting pid 494, tty '': '/sbin/syslogd'
syslogd: socket: Function not implemented
process '/sbin/syslogd -n' (pid 494) exited. Scheduling it for restart.

ping 200.123.101.231
PING 200.123.101.231 (200.123.101.231): 56 data bytes
ping: can't create raw socket: Function not implemented

This happens with a Busybox executable that I build my self, and the one that is
built using the Buildroot script.

Does Busybox not work with Linux Kernel versions as old as 2.6.8.1?  If it
doesn't, what will I have to do to get it to work?  At the moment Linux 2.6.8.1
is our stable kernel, and we won't be moving to a newer version for a little
while still.

Thanks in advance for any help
Andrew