Probably a bug in ash

Seb sbb at tuxfamily.org
Sat Jul 7 16:55:23 UTC 2007

Le Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:20:14 +0200
Natanael Copa <natanael.copa at gmail.com> a écrit:

> On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 17:10 +0200, Seb wrote:
> > Le Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:18:32 -0400
> > Paul Fox <pgf at brightstareng.com> a écrit:
> >
> > > wh wrote:
> > >  > Hi seb,
> > >  > yes the mail was received but noone had time sofar to
> > >  > investigate the problem
> > >
> > > further info:
> > > whoever takes a look at this; the problem is even worse than
> > > originally described.  piping the output of "jobs" loses the
> > > output entirely, while piping the output of "jobs %1" causes an
> > > erroneous error message.
>
> [..]
>
> > Ok, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation and the
> > additionnal informations. :)
> >
> > Do you think I should also make a parallel bug report to dash ? (it's
> > not to put you under pressure -- I well see you have many other things
> > to fix here and this bug can wait -- but just to try to be more "useful"
> > without bothering you nor being unpolite).
>
> I tested on dash and yes, the bug is there too. Reporting it to dash
> sounds like a good idea.
>
> Natanael Copa

If comparison between shells can help you, the additionnal misfunction
raised doesn't appear with the ash shell of the Slackware, the
output is just lost "as usual". If someone looks for this ash shell, it
can be found here :

http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/slackware/slackware-12.0/source/ap/ash/

Otherwise, I confirm "jobs %1" raises an error with dash. In attachment
the testing script augmented with the new case.

I will try to contact the dash maintainer(s), does somebody know if
it's now a part of the Debian project (there is a debian maintainer
for the package), the home of the project seems to have recorded no
changes since 2005 :

http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/

++
Seb.