df, mount and tmpfs - no disk usage stats

ross beazley rossbeazley at lycos.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 20:32:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

im not sure this is the correct place to post as it could be some other system issue. I am trying to build an embedded system using busybox as the core of the server. I am not building against uclibc but the normal glibc (version 2.3.6). The problem I am having is with a tmpfs not showing how much free space there is, or infact how much space is used. I have a printer spool directory mounted there (its a samba print server), but its not working because the df check is failing :-/

Iam using a 2.6.16.27 kernel and version 1.5.0 of busybox.

Ive been googling to death for the last few days but cant find any hint as to what may be the problem.

Ive mounted the tmpfs with a size option.

The root fs is a squashfs and is monted in an initramfs and switch_rooted into.

I need to use tmpfs as the writable parts of the system

No tmpfs is mounted during the initramfs stage.

I am able to write stuff into the tmpfs mounts.

I dont really know where to start, from what i have seen in other busybox posts tmpfs is showing disk usage stats....

I must be doing something mega stoopid that ive totally overlooked it

HELP!

:)

Ross

Lycos email has 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at mail.lycos.co.uk