screen manager terminal emulation

Miroslaw Dach miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Mon Jul 2 15:44:00 UTC 2007

Hi Hinko,

	I went little-bit further with screen and curses:

I have recompiled the ncurses library version 5.4 with options which I
have figured out from ELDK4.1:

./configure --host=i386-linux --with-normal --with-shared --without-debug
--without-profile --with-cxx --without-ada --enable-sigwinch
--enable-hard-tabs '--with-ospeed=unsigned int'
'--with-build-cc=/usr/bin/gcc -B/usr/bin/' --enable-termcap
--enable-termcap --with-shared  CC=powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc
CXX=powerpc-405-linux-gnu-g++

Right now when I select TERM=vt100 I am able to start my server:

./screen -t MYSERVER  -d -m ./myServer

I am also able to attache to the server with:
screen -r

Unfortunately I am able to reattach to the server only twice.
The third time when I attache to the server the screen prints the text as
it was a wrong definition of characters per line.

When I detach from screen and attache again with screen -r
I get a message:

You can't run screen on a hardcopy terminal.

When I try screen -r few time more I get a message:

Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'.

To sum up all above the situation is like that:

./screen -t MYSERVER  -d -m ./myServer         [OK]

screen -r                                      [OK]
CTRL-A D
screen -r                                      [OK]
CTRL-A D
screen -r                                      [wrong nr of char per line]
CTRL-A D
screen -r
You can't run screen on a hardcopy terminal.
screen -r
You can't run screen on a hardcopy terminal.
screen -r
Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'
screen -r
Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'
screen -r
Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'
screen -r
Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'
screen -r
Cannot find termcap entry for 'vt100'

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Best Regards

Mierk