Possible Bug, or Possibly don't know what I'm doing.

Andy Kennedy akennedy at techmoninc.com
Wed Jan 31 22:51:44 UTC 2007

Because I had nothing to loose I removed the console=ttyS0,115200n8 from
the kernel command line.  I still cannot get a readable terminal on
ttyS0.  I can, however, log onto that terminal, execute commands from
that terminal (no matter how long the command is, eg echo <A REALLY LONG
TEXT> > /dev/console) and it doesn't miss a char.

Another test I did:  I connected a USB serial cable to my computer,
looped back the null modem from my serial to my USB serial and attempted
to run the BusyBox getty command on my computer (the embedded system is
an x86 platform, and so is my computer) to attempt to get a login. . .
wham, bam thank you ma'am. . . it worked.

Looking through the code for the BusyBox init, I found that regardless
of whether you specify to use the ttyS0 as a terminal, BusyBox still
attaches to it via /dev/console -- assuming that one has passed the
console=ttyS0 to the kernel.  In this code (and I haven't gone through
it enough to know where) there is an initialization that toasts the
serial port.

The only other thing that I could think is that maybe since I've
stripped out the kernel so much I have missed something. . . I haven't
attached my config, however, if you'd be willing to help me solve this
problem I'll send it to you.

Anyone have ANY idea about this???  Anyone else have a buildroot/busybox
setup that uses a serial console?

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Andy Kennedy