Possible Bug, or Possibly don't know what I'm doing.

Andy Kennedy akennedy at techmoninc.com
Wed Jan 31 19:44:00 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Andy Kennedy wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking that I need to tell init to leave the serial port alone,
>> however, I don't know how.
> Just take out the
>
> ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
>
> line from your inittab (or, preferrably, just stick a # in front):
>
> #ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
>
> You're telling getty to grab ttyS0, while at the same time you're
> telling the kernel to use it for the console.
>
> It's one or the other.

Yan:  I've done it both ways.  I was under the impression, also, that
one could use a serial console as both a console and a tty -- I know
this to be true from an embedded system that I have, I'm attempting to
mimic this on a different embedded system.  It really has nothing to do
with the getty, removing the line from the inittab does nothing for me.