Adding nc -q?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jan 14 20:52:39 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 7:48 pm, Scott Maxwell wrote:
> Thanks to all busybox developers for your really amazing software,
> which is making it easy and painless to develop some nifty stuff to
> run on a Linksys router under DD-WRT.
>
> I'm using busybox to help develop a simple watchdog script, for which
> it would be very nice to have the functionality of "nc -q _seconds_".
> This option causes nc to exit _seconds_ seconds after EOF.

Ok, to clarify, this is N seconds after the OUTGOING EOF, without waiting for
the incoming side to EOF?  (Could you confirm that I've got you right?  This
is essentially a wild guess...)

If so, it shouldn't be too hard to implement...

> The
> current busybox nc doesn't seem to support this option or any
> equivalent,

It's got infrastructure in this area, -w, just not quite tuned to your needs.

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery