trying to build dash: awk and sort bugs uncovered

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jan 2 20:06:41 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 11:03 am, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 05:03, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > I tried to build dash (Debian ash) and found the following.
> >
> > While trying to build what actual packages?  (What actually _broke_?)
>
> dash is an ash ported to Debian. I tried to compile it
> on a system where /bin/sort and /bin/awk are symlinks
> to busybox.

Haven't tried that one.

> In other words, our sort -u did not discard lines if _key_
> (not entire line) is the same, while coreutils did.

Huh.  Which one is the correct behavior?  (Rummage for susve spec...)

 -u Unique: suppress all but one in each set of lines having equal keys. If
    used with the -c option, check that there are no lines with duplicate
    keys, in addition to checking that the input file is sorted.

So yeah, it's unique keys.  My bad. :)

> I will describe awk bug if you really want to know.

Dmitry Zakharov does an excellent job maintaining awk for busybox, and his
email's at the top of editors/awk.c.

> Or else yust look at current awk.c - it has a comment on that
> in awk_main().
>
> I already fixed sort -u and awk bugs.

*shrug*  Life is good.

> You won't see awk bug anyway because you are most probably
> in POSIX locale.

Yes.  Since when does busybox support locales?

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery