Possible Bug, or Possibly don't know what I'm doing.

Andy Kennedy akennedy at techmoninc.com
Mon Feb 5 18:25:49 UTC 2007

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:51:44PM -0600, Andy Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Anyone have ANY idea about this???  Anyone else have a buildroot/busybox
>> setup that uses a serial console?
>>
> 3. boot scripts set serial speed:
> for d in /dev/ttyS* /dev/ttyAM* /dev/ttyUSB*; do
>     [ -e "$d" ] && stty -F $d ospeed 57600
> done
Attempted this.  Didn't help.  To restate my problem (in case some kind
developer decides to help me):

When I have the kernel command line parameter "console=ttyS0,115200n8" I
get nice neat output on the serial line up until the init runs.  As soon
as init runs, I get missing chars.  So, I replace the BusyBox init with
minit, compiled from source and using the uCLibC gcc that I let
buildroot make for me.  Same problem.  For some reason, when the system
initializes -- after the kernel has reported all of its output, my
serial console goes splat.  When I initialize the console using BusyBox
(/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100) I get "X n", where X is {'i', 'g',
's', 'o', 'l', 'm'}, but I cannot find a pattern in it.  One of these
letters will appear each time I send enter.

I have tried everything I can think of.  There is no script setting any
of the line speeds -- in fact, I have even attempted to remove the
scripts and still get the same thing.  Removing the
console=ttyS0,115200n8 (or attempting any variant of it) has no affect,
except without the console= I get no good output on the line.  The only
thing I haven't attempted yet is to replace the getty with an equivalent
to see if that makes a difference.  I have also tried 9600, 38400,
19200, with E8, O8, 2 stop bits, and 1 stop bit in just about every
combination, but I still cannot get a serial console.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I might fix this -- or some
other place to start?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Andy