extra targets in busybox Makefile

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Feb 5 16:10:59 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 4:38 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 February 2007 3:12 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > busybox is failing because it's
> > > trying to generate depmod and build modules
> >
> > Because your "larger build system" (which we didn't write) is calling make
> > modules on busybox?
>
> incorrect ... the busybox system changes the default all dependencies based
> upon the environment it is run in

What's the "default all dependencies"?  You mean the default behavior of "make
all"?  (I don't think you mean "make depend" because that's not there
anymore...)

> so if the host env has the same defines that the kernel uses, then busybox
> will incorrectly try and generate modules (since it is really just using the
> kernel build)

Ok, once again guessing at your meaning, I take it this isn't "#defines" but
environment variables you're talking about?

Changing behavior based on random environment variables is bad, but the Linux
From Scratch project goes out of its way to tell you to blank certain
environment variables because they've been known to screw things up if you
don't.  That's a known problem and a "don't do that".

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery