extra targets in busybox Makefile

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Feb 2 19:58:58 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 3:12 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 29 January 2007, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > I propose to simply never define anything "modular"
> >
> > If people run "make modules",  well, that's their problems.
>
> there are a bunch of env config settings which can cause problems ... what
i'm
> looking at is busybox gets integrated into a larger build system which
> includes a kernel and next thing i know,

What do you mean by "integrated into a larger build system"?  Busybox's
menuconfig is not the same as the kernel's (version skew among other things).
If you write your own Config and use your own menuconfig infrastructure, you
have to debug your new code as well, correct?

> busybox is failing because it's
> trying to generate depmod and build modules

Because your "larger build system" (which we didn't write) is calling make
modules on busybox?

What exactly is going on here?

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery