[patch] netstat: got bogus unix line...

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Thu Dec 27 11:27:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 December 2007 20:42, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
>
> > This may arguably be a kernel problem.  As the comment in the
> > bb-netstat says, and which I quoted in my previous post, socket names
> > as this one did show up in 2.6 /proc files for as long as I remember.
>
> I added that comment, not long ago.

Did you yourself see that kind of socket name string corruption on your
system?  Do you remember what application was responsible for that?

Does anyone else see this problem?

> > IMO, this is more like an application bug.
>
> Are you saying it's ok for kernel to dump random binary crap
> through /proc/net/unix?

No.  I'm not saying that.  What I wonder, in this particular case, is:

  Should the kernel code validate the character strings for corruption,
  the applications serve to it?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm not sure.
In this particular case it's somewhat tricky.

Cheers,

--
Cristian