[patch] netstat: got bogus unix line...

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 22:37:17 UTC 2007

2007/12/26, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007 20:42, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > >
> > > This line is especially ugly:
> > >
> > > f7ab6280: 00000002 00000000 00000000 0002 01 14954 @^@^@^@.^R^@^@x*
> >
> > Yes, it is.
> >
> > > I think you have to retest it with latest kernel and if it happens there
> > > too, report the bug to kernel mailing list.
> >
> > This may arguably be a kernel problem.  As the comment in the bb-netstat
> > says, and which I quoted in my previous post, socket names as this one did
> > show up in 2.6 /proc files for as long as I remember.
>
> I added that comment, not long ago.
>
> > IMO, this is more like an application bug.
>
> Are you saying it's ok for kernel to dump random binary crap
> through /proc/net/unix?

    I might be wrong, but it that random binary crap happens to be the
  name of the socket, I don't know what the kernel can do (except
  dump it through /proc/net/unix). There is indeed a problem because
  the name can contain an eol character and it's difficult to treat this
  case (cracker beware).

      Loïc Grenié