vi: odd behaviour when editing files

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sat Dec 22 10:20:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 18:46, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > As I did not get any reaction on this post:
> >
> >   http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/2007-December/029525.html
> >
> > I'll start a new thread.  Please refer to the link above.
> > Please find attached a minimal .config and a data file which can help
> > reproduce the problem.  Edit that file and place the cursor on lines with
> > length beyond 255 characters.  That will produce various artifacts,
> > depending on the terminal (I tested xterm, aterm and pterm).
>
> Try this one.

So I did.  Looks good.

> It should support nearly arbitrarily long lines.

Could you please be more specific on the "nearly" thing?

I gave vi just a light exercise (vi is not my favorit editor, but I have
to use it some times).  I think we should ask more people with vi
expertise to give it a more testing.

One thing I noticed (and that differs from its big brother) is that the
yank command 'yy' moves the cursor to the beginning of line.  Is that the
intended behaviour?  Maybe bb-vi always did that, I don't remember :( Let
me try an older version...  Yes vi from bb-1.1.3 does that too, exposes
the same odd behaviour on lines longer than 256 characters and segfaults.

So current vi is a huge improvement ;)

Cheers,

--
Cristian