init hangs

chanemouganandam saravanan schane at osmozis.com
Wed Dec 5 13:20:22 UTC 2007

Hi ,

Excuse me for the jumbled mail problem and I will fix it.

Yes, I am clear that busybox "init" doesn't support run levels.
/etc/inittab says use sysvinit for runlevels and to use run level,
in the Buildroot ( using gcc 4.1.2 , binuitls 2.17 and uClibc 0.9.29
version) busybox package selection, I have enabled
"Hide application that are provided by busybox"  to select "sysvinit" which
builts and installs sysVinit version 2.86 in the final rootfs.

In the rootfs, I have modified a bit in /etc/inittab and created rc2.d in
/etc to test the run level 2 . Finally, the bootup message
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.6.1
Looking up port of  RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.6.1
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 108K
INIT: version 2.86 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

uClibc login:

shows that init doesn't execute /etc/init.d/rcS or /etc/init.d/rc.  If there
is a syntax error or missing run level in the inittab
then "init" throws the respective error message.

Here is my /etc/inittab and rc2.d for further analysis

# /etc/inittab
#
# Copyright (C) 2001 Erik Andersen
#
# Note: BusyBox init doesn't support runlevels.  The runlevels field is
# completely ignored by BusyBox init. If you want runlevels, use
# sysvinit.

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

# Startup the system
l1::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
l2::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
l3::sysinit:/bin/mount -a

# now run any rc scripts
si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS                     ( this is not invoked  )

# /etc/init.d executes the S and K scripts upon change
# of runlevel.
l4:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2                   ( this is not called  after
entering runlevel 2)

# Set up a couple of getty's
#tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
#tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

# Put a getty on the serial port
T1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttySA0 38400 vt100      ( respawn getty for login
prompt)

I went through the http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=1244 bug tracking and
seems to be bit similar.
I have also performed some test discussed like echo TEST >/dev/tty echo TEST
 >/dev/console and
i got TEST msg printed out on the console. Executing the scripts
individually inside the prompt works well.

I use the rootfs built by buildroot using .

Its strange that init desn't execute the /etc/initd.rcS and /etc/init.d/rc ?
At the least it should execute /etc/init.d/rcS.
Did I missed something very important to make init work?

Sara