usage of -funsigned-char

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:56:54 UTC 2007

On Sunday 02 December 2007 15:52, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> can we analyze the usage of -funsigned-char in Makefile.flags ?  i feel
> like this is the wrong way to go for anything ...

I think it is a great way to avoid all sorts of stupid bugs
when char is inadvertently sign-extended.

I try to write code such that it will work with signed char,
but at the same time -funsigned-char gives additional protection -
even if some code is potentially buggy wrt signed char, it
will actually work.

(vi was particularly bad in that regard)
--
vda