BusyBox poweroff problem with SMP kernel

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Aug 1 13:09:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:08:28AM +0800, Zhiming Zhou wrote:
<snip>
> But while the system run in computer with multiple processors; system
> stopped while "Power down system" was printed, it seems out of busybox, and
> acpi_power_off is not called.
>
> And if I compiled my linux kernel without CONFIG_SMP configed, and use the
> same busybox root file system, there was none poweroff problems in my
> system.

> So, I want to know is there someone successfully use busybox to poweroff
> computer with SMP kernel? And what is the possible reason of my problem?

That's a kernel problem, not a busybox one.

If you're using APM, the kernel disables it at boot when it's running
with more than one processor. You can force it on, only for
powering-off, with the option apm=power-off to the kernel.

If you're using ACPI, then I don't know why it isn't powering down. It
could be because of an older BIOS, blacklisted when in SMP mode. But
then you can try activating apm like above.

--
lfr
0/0