init rc problem

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:24:31 UTC 2007

On Saturday 28 April 2007 05:44, N.SaravanaKumaar wrote:
> 1. Can I install new version busybox alone witout
> recompiling the kernel.

Yes.

> 2. How to enable sys V init in a system which already
> has busybox in it. Is the busybox-1.5.0 has runlevel
> enable option if so do i have to enable sys V init.

Busybox's init has no support for SysV init, and likely
will never have one. SysV init is too complicated way
of doing things, while busybox people tend to go
for "small and beautiful" solutions.

If you really want SysV init, you can compile
and install one.

> 3. When i tried to install new version ob Busybox,
> shell is not coming up and gave the message
>
> " Please press Enter to activate this console.
> sh: applet not found "

You did not enable any shell in busybox config,
or at least you didn't specify which shell is a "default" one.
IOW, you have this in the .config:

# CONFIG_FEATURE_SH_IS_ASH is not set
# CONFIG_FEATURE_SH_IS_HUSH is not set
# CONFIG_FEATURE_SH_IS_LASH is not set