PATCH: fix for broken run-parts

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at cmu.edu
Sat Apr 28 13:47:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:33:37AM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> I don't like this patch. The big run-parts from debianutils have this
> check for a reason (to ignore non-conforming files) and i think breaking
> compatibility is not a sensible thing to do wrt. run-parts behaviour.
> See?

Yea, but how about ifupdown.c, also from Debian ? It wants to
run-parts in, e.g.,  /etc/network/if-pre-up.d (notice the '.') ?
Our current busybox incarnation of run-parts will do nothing, because
the directory contains a dot. I really don't think containing a '.'
should disqualify a file (or a directory) from being processed by
run-parts.

If you don't like my patch, which only adds '.' to the list of
'approved' characters (anywhere ) in a filename, we need to replace
the check with more complex logic (i.e., skip only if the dot happens
at the beginning of the filename part (e.g. /foo/bar/.blah), but not
if it's elsewhere in the filename (e.g. /foo.bar/xyz/blah, or
/foo/bar/blah.ext).

Thoughts ?

--Gabriel