Adding new applet in busybox 1.4.2

Stefan Farnik stefan.farnik at gmx.at
Wed Apr 25 23:15:45 UTC 2007

Hello to everyone,

I'm currently trying to build a small floppy based disk with mentioned
busybox version (v1.4.2). As there is a (complex) possibility to add
custom applets, i would like to try creating one for testing purposes.
(hello world)

there is a new-applet-HOWTO.txt, but it is quite old; I also found a
updated (.diff) version with google dated on march 2002.

Even in the FAQ's (http://www.busybox.net/FAQ.html#adding) there's
mentions I have to add the applet to matching Makefile.in (in chase:
miscutils/Makefile.in) - but there isn't a file named like that.

I've then stumpled upon files called Kbuild and it seems that these are
the right ones, (you should mention it somewhere ..) but the applet
won't compile. I get errors like: undefined reference to `main_hello'

With other applets shipped with busybox the make process finish neatly.

Has it to do with busybox, with my applet or something else?
It would be fine if anybody can help me.

Applet: hello.c

#include "busybox.h"

void hello_main()
{