login success only once

kaimi dishui at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:08:13 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 30 March 2007 04:44, kaimi wrote:
> > hi, all
> >      in my inittab, "tts/0::respawn:/bin/login" works well at the
> startup,
> > but in the shell, if run login manually, there's promption for user
> name,
> > after input the user name, there's no promption for password, the system
> is
> > zombie, the inittab is followed, any ideas? thanks
> >
> > tts/0::respawn:/bin/login
>
> hmm... works for me:
>
> shadow:~# login root
> Password:
> Linux 2.6.18.1_64smp_ipv6.
> <*> Executing /etc/profile from '-bash'. Command line: ''
> * PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
> * Setting umask: 022
> * Setting some environment variables
> * Setting default shell prompts
> <*> Finished /etc/profile
> <*> Executing ~/.profile from '-bash'. Command line: ''
> * PATH='/root/bin:/bin:/usr/bin'
> * Locale: russian koi8r
> <*> Finished ~/.profile
> shadow:~# exit
> logout
> shadow:~#
>
> Also works:
>
> shadow:~# login
> shadow login: root
> Password:
> Linux 2.6.18.1_64smp_ipv6.
> <*> Executing /etc/profile from '-bash'. Command line: ''
> ...same...
>
> Can you dig a bit deeper? Where exactly it fails for you?
> --
> vda

my /etc/profile followed:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
echo "export PATH in /etc/profile"
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

the startup messages followed:
ARM login: root
Password:
export PATH in /etc/profile
[root at ARM ~]# logout
ARM login: root
Password:
export PATH in /etc/profile
[root at ARM ~]# login
ARM login: root

you can see, at startup, login works, it works after logout as well, but
it's failed if login on shell prompts. how to trace the exact point? thanks