non-busybox dhcp clients (was: PATCH: ifupdown.c, udhcpc, and standalone shell)

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:09:25 UTC 2006

I've been thinking about ifupdown.c and dhcp clients; Eric is right,
specifying a command line to bring an interface up and down should go
under 'manual', not 'dhcp' :) as it might come in handy for pretty
much anything one could think of...

dhcp should "just work", that much I agree on.

Now, I'm wondering why busybox's ifupdown should care about any dhcp
clients other than udhcpc ? If one uses busybox, why turn off
compiling udhcpc into it and supply an extra binary for a different
dhcp client ?

The possible answers I can think of are

	a) because historically busybox didn't include udhcpc, and
	   we needed *something* in there, and now we're used to
	   including it

	b) because udhcpc doesn't do something (correctly) that
	   our preferred client does (better).

How big of a deal would it be for busybox to support udhcpc only ? If
it doesn't do things right, let's fix it. If there's some extreme
corner case that requires a non-busybox program to handle, let's use
'manual' :)

Any comments, opinions ?

Thanks,
Gabriel