PATCH: ifupdown.c, udhcpc, and standalone shell

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:23:20 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 21:41, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
> Denis,
>
> Thanks for the fix. It works, but I'd like to re-arrange the order in
> which it attempts to execute various dhcp clients. Right now, udhcpc
> is the last one it tries, so you get a series of error messages:
>
> 	/ $ ifup -a
> 	/bin/sh: pump: not found
> 	/bin/sh: dhclient: not found
>
> before it finally runs udhcpc and thigs work fine.
>
> Since udhcpc is an option provided by busybox itself, I think it
> should be the first one we try to run. If we want a more complex
> setup (i.e., don't compile the udhcpc applet into busybox, and supply
> our own binary) then we should accept to put up with error/warning
> messages as ifup searches for the correct dhcp client.
>
> I've attached the modified ifupdown.c.gz.

Applied. I also removed hardcoded PATH (now will use whatever PATH
value there is in ifupdown's env). You can test it (attached).

> Another question: right now, udhcpc wants to run a script to configure
> the actual interface, and by default looks for it in:
>
> 	/usr/share/udhcpc/default.script
>
> You *can* change that by passing '-s file' to udhcpc, but only when
> you run it directly, not when ifup does it for you.
>
> Can we talk about a less weird default place for that script (e.g.,
> /etc/network/scripts/udhcpc.script or simply /etc/network/udhcpc.script)?

Any fixed place would be bad. You need to have something which allows you
to use ANY place you wish.

> Or is there a cultural reason for leaving it where it is that I'm not
> aware of ? :)

I personally do not use ifupdown at all. I use runit. Much more flexible.
I am not even well aware how this ifup/ifdown thingy works...
--
vda