[RFC, PATCH] new applet resize #2

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Sun Sep 24 09:30:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:54:11PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>On Friday 22 September 2006 4:25 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:

>> >The normal binary?  (Rummage...)  Ah, so there is.  Part of X from _1984_.
>> >Wow.
>> >
>> >Ok, preserving the behavior of that strikes me as a good thing.  I guess
>that
>>
>> I've applied it as r16176 for now.
>> Feel free to wipe it out of the tree like you did with taskset, if you
>> feel like.
>
>Done.

Thanks so much.

>"I'll think about it" != "Ooh, that means I should apply it".  It means I need
>to think about how best to do this.
>
>The purpose of this applet is to run from the command line?  Or are we

It's purpose is to be run interactively (only, i'd say).

>encouraging people to have it in their /etc/profile?  If they start typing
>before their /etc/profile runs (or they "echo command | sh", don't we have
>the same problem with bbsh interactive mode, where it shouldn't do this if
>there's already data waiting on stdin?  (Or should it discard any data
>waiting on stdin?)

I don't understand what you're saying here. Please explain?

>And _if_ we do this, I'd like to re-use the code that bbsh is using to do this
>probing for interactive mode, rather than having two implementations in the
>tree.  I believe I _said_ that.

bbsh doesn't have that code AFAICS.
You don't seem to want to collaborate with anybody wrt bbsh. That
resize applet serves a unique, established purpose that shouldn't be
hindered by eventual progress you as a single person achieve with bringing
bbsh forward.

>Also, I'd rather not add new code into the tree with "or later" and then have
>to go back and remove it as I get around to making the license notices
>uniform.

I would have removed the or later in a day or two, if the applet was
still in the tree