svn commit: trunk/busybox: console-tools include

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Fri Sep 22 13:39:35 UTC 2006

Bernhard,
All,

On Friday 22 September 2006 130, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:34:06AM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > - Thus the result is GPLv2 (only).
> I submitted it as GPL(v2+). If the package as a whole is v2, then all is fine, no?

I don't know how to phrase it: English is not my mother tongue. But let's try
again, applied to your patch (note: I have no objection to a GPLv2+ licensing
outside busybox):

  - your patch is GPLv2+. You write it, you license it: your right.
  - you merge it with a GPLv2 code, the derived work is GPLv2.

If one retrieves BusyBox, then it has a GPLv2 license to use the whole busybox
code. It would be misleading for him/her to see "or later" in the code, when it
is truly GPLv2 (only). Plus I'd think that you are adding a license, which could
well be seen as a 'restriction' as per the GPLv2.

If you still want your piece of code to be available as GPLv2+, then distribute
it by other means (on a website, in the fork-to-come of BusyBox, whatever).
I would think that code that gets merged, license allowing, into BusyBox is,
once merged, GPLv2, not GPLv2+.

I know everybody's sick (I am) with the battle that was raging up to now, but
while we are at it, lets take this example: it's the first addition of an
applet since the switch to GPLv2. Lets see what we have to do in such a case.

Now, Rob's the maintainer, that's his job to do such review, he is _much_ more
qualified than I am in this topic, he has the contacts and advices from SFLC.
I was just pointing this out.

Sincerely,
Yann E. MORIN.

PS. Bernhard, this is no offense to you. You just happen to be the first one
    to commit an applet since the switch to GPLv2. At least the first I see.
YEM.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |